Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Party at the Pool!

Ok, you all are probably expecting to hear about some epic swim. Like a friend's birthday swim, or a solid week of swim focus, or something along those lines. But no, my party at the pool today involved no one else. Just me. And for those of you that know me even a little, you know that it doesn't take very many people for me to have a party. I love to have fun! And this party was very impromptu. On the fly. Totally unexpected.

So when I was asked a few weeks ago by a good friend if I would demo a waterproof iPod and headphones, I agreed. Why not? Who wouldn't love to have some tunes every now and again in the pool. Something to keep you company with all that back and forth, back and forth. It all sounded great, without thinking about much more than having music for my solo swims.

But when the package from Underwater Audio arrived and I looked at everything, I panicked a bit. You see, I'm one of those finicky ear plug swimmers. I can't stand ANY water in my ears. I instantly thought this whole project would be a big fat fail! I was suddenly skeptical and not excited to use them at all.

So awesome! A completely waterproof iPod shuffle, and completely waterproof Swimbuds!

Regardless of my lack of excitement, I loaded the shuffle up with some good tunes, and packed it in my swim bag. They've been there for several days now. Today when I found myself at the pool alone, I decided to give them a try. I dove head first into the water, as I always do, figuring I'd be back in 50 yards to trade them out for my silicone plugs. Much to my surprise, I had no water in my ears. I was instantly impressed, and as my swim went on, impressed turned to BLOWN AWAY!!!

It was a strange sensation at first, hearing clear sounding music while swimming. But I grew to enjoy it quite quickly. As my warmup ended and I began my main set, I really started to see some benefit. I found myself more engaged in my swim, especially for the longer sets. As any swimmer knows, it is quite easy to lose count while swimming. The mind can easily wander. But with the music, I found that my mind didn't wander. My brain was occupied with music and had no need to drift off. Which I think made the counting task easier. You could call me easily amused, but hey, whatever works.

There she is! Small and sleek, clipped right on to my goggle strap

I swam an entire hour with these buds in, and could have gone another hour if I wanted to. Not a drop of water leaked in, great sound and a good beat…what's not to love?!

So for those of you that might need extra motivation to get to the pool, or if you're like me and just need to have a party in the pool, I highly recommend giving these a try! You can check them out at underwateraudio.com. My guess is that you'll be just as pleased as I was! And just one more honest plug…this could make a GREAT Christmas gift for any swimmer in your life.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, I realize I am a little late to the party, but I have been wondering about these. I cannot stand to have water in my ears and always use the silicone plugs. So, reading this helps me pull the trigger to try them out for myself. Looking forward to it and thanks for the post!!